Friday, October 24, 2014

Rainy Day hair Options

I'm a sunny weather kind a girl. I love bright, well lit, warm environment. It does something to my mood and helps to boost my energy. Rainy days in my opinion are for getting under the covers to watch a good movie or curling up with a book. The reality however, is that rain or shine we still have to go out and make it happen, life doesn't stop because its raining, we still have to honor our obligations and draw our tails out the door to get it done.

Being natural, the last thing my hair needs is exposure to rainy weather.......ughhhhh!!!! It sucks when you have that killer twist out, braid out, flat twist out or any other hairdo that requires maintaining definition, just to have it ruined by the rain. On a rainy day, your best bet is to try to leave little or no hair out. You don't want to see the hot mess that will result from a wet or damp natural hairdo. Right away there would be immediate shrinkage and quite likely you may lose all your definition.

If the weather forecast predicts rain and I in any way face the possibility of being exposed to it throughout the day, my first instinct is usually to alter my hair plans a bit and opt for wearing my hair in such a way that would prevent an hair emergency. Here are just a few ways that wear my hair when its raining or the weather shows signs that there is a possibility of such:


HATS

On a casual day, the most likely way I would chose to prepare for the rainy weather, is by wearing a hat. Hats are always trendy and never fail at saving the day both for weather challenges or just a regular bad hair day. I love that they save me from having to spend time styling my hair. I just grab my favorite hat and most times put it right on top of my head in whatever state it is. I usually don't take down my protective style before putting on a hat. Wearing a hat gives me the assurance that I wont have to worry about possibly getting my hair ruined in the rain.








ROCK PROTECTIVE STYLES


Again, if I am planning to go out in a very casual environment like to the store, visit a friend, bible study etc, I have no qualms about just wearing my hair in whatever protective style it was set the night before. Be it Bantu Knots, Two Strand Twists or Plaits, there is usually no reservation about making a hairdo of it, unless of course it looks fuzzy and unkempt. Other than that, if the rain is out, my protective style stays in. After all, there is really no point in taking them down when the water or the humidity may do a number on it.








BUNS

A Bun is a more versatile, and visually appealing hairstyle that would be perfect to wear on a rainy day. It is my go to hairdo when I have a hairstyle fail, my hair need a wash, I feel lazy, I'm strapped for time or just feel like wearing one for the heck of it. It is one of those hairstyles that you can get away with wearing for just about any occasion, If for example you have to go to work, have a meeting, dinner date or whateverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, this style will never fail you. I love it for rainy weather because the hair is firmly and sleekly secured so there is little risk of frizzing and even if the hair somehow gets wet, the hairstyle will maintain its integrity. I love wearing a bun, because it tends to shave off a few years off my appearance and dealing with the rainy day woes is a good excuse to wear one.


























QUICK BRAID

 A easy braid using some synthetic, kanekelon hair will protect your hair and prevent hairstyle fails during the wet weather. It is something different and literally takes only about 10 minutes to do. If you can do a cornrow braid you will find this to be a life saver on such unexpectedly wet days.


UPDO/PIN-UP - For the most part, the styles that I most readily chose to wear when the weather is on the wetter side of things are mostly casual. In the event that I have a more dressy event, a nice Roll n' Tuck updo will do it for me. There are many different ways to style an updo so there really is no worry if the plan you originally had in mind gets eroded because of weather changes.

There is always a way out, never think that natural hair only looks great if it is worn loose. You define beauty, and you have the freedom to express your interpretation of beauty through your own, personal, creative style.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...