Tuesday, February 16, 2016

My Current Product Faves

There are more and more natural hair products flooding the market to meet the mounting demand by the steadily increasing number of naturals. There is a wide cross section of products designed for natural hair and if you are not careful, the selection process can become quite frustrating. "Should I get the butter, smoothie, souffle or creme jelly?"  Are some of the questions that are not easily answered. Knowing what will work on your hair is often determined solely by experimenting. Too often I have heard girls swear by certain brands or particular products, and I gladly go by their testimony only to face much disappointment when I don't experience the same results that they do.
I wouldn't say that I'm by any means a product junkie, but I have tested and tried quite a number of products and have found a few faithful favorites that work like a charm for my 4b/4c hair type. These are my current faves and are likely to change if I discover something else that gives me better results. Each product listed is used for a different purpose in my hair care regimen. So here goes:


Co-Wash - My DNA Hydrating Co-Wash  
The term Co-Wash is short for Conditioner Wash and is used primarily in the natural hair community. It is a less drying alternative to cleansing with shampoo. My DNA is my fave because, of all the Co-Washes that I have tried, this one is the most moisturizing and at the same time it is very cleansing and actually allows me to work up a lather, which in my own weird way I feel is necessary to get squeaky clean hair.

Shampoo - Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo
I'm not a big fan of shampoos at all and I spent a great deal of effort during the first couple years I was  natural, trying to find one that didn't leave my hair feeling crappy. After much trial and error,  finally I found and fell in love with this shampoo from my beloved Shea Moisture line. It leaves my hair feeling soft and manageable. The hunt was over, I was done. I'm not saying there aren't some better shampoos out there and I'm sure I will try others in the future but for now....I'm quite contented.




Conditioner - Suave Professionals Almond + Shea Butter Conditioner
If you are natural then you already know that conditioners, not diamonds, are a girl's best friend. Regular conditioners are useful for multiple purposes. Pre-Poos, detangling, or just for a good ole wash day conditioning, are just a few of the uses of conditioners. There are many great conditioners on the market, but my measure of greatness is determined by their thickness and creaminess, as well as the amount of slip they provide. The Suave Professionals Almond + Shea Butter conditioner not only meets, but surpasses my expectation of a reasonably priced conditioner. This very affordable conditioner can contend with just about any deep conditioner on the market. It infuses moisture into my hair and leaves it feeling soft and silky. I believe it will always have a place on my product fave list.



Deep Conditioner - Dark & Lovely Moisture L.O.C. Deep Conditioning Delight
Deep conditioner I would say is the most important product in my wash day regimen. Your deep conditioner can make or break the whole wash process, especially in cases where damage is being experienced. It is prudent to use an effective deep conditioner that will repair and restore your hair. Very few deep conditioners make the cut for me , but then again there are still a whole host of brands, formulated for naturals, that I am yet to try. I can only speak to those that I have personally experienced, and as of right now the Moisture L.O.C. deep conditioner provides the best results for my 4b hair. It has a thick, creamy consistency and provides amazing slip, which allows for easier detangling. As the name suggests, it indeed locks in moisture, and for me it is really a delight to have discovered this product.


Leave-In Conditioner - Kinky Curly Knot Today

This leave in conditioner has been tested and tried and proven to be the real MVP of leave ins. From day one, I have been using this product and no matter how many other products I try, I always end up back with my holy grail. I am not a big fan of the scent of the product but its effectiveness in adding moisture to my hair,  makes it easy to ignore that minor flaw for the sake of a greater good. I especially love the fact that it can double as a styler/moisturizer. Since moisture is very high up on my hierarchy of needs, this leave in will remain one of my favorite hair products of all times,







Styling Product - Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil 
Strengthen, Grow & Restore Styling Lotion

This product is fairly new to the market and was an instant winner from the very first time I tried it.  I don't know if it has anything to do with the fact that Jamaican Black Castor Oil is a favorite of mine but I can tell you this much, the product keeps my hair moisturized for days. Jamaican Black Castor Oil is know for its hair growth and hair strengthening properties and as a "Yardie", I am proud that an ingredient originated from my homeland is so highly regarded in the natural hair community.  This styling lotion is indeed one of my favorite daily moisturizers and styling product.




Styling Gel - Wet line Xtreme Professional Styling Gel


I am not very picky when it comes to Styling Gels. As long as it doesn't flake I'm good. For the longest while I was on the Eco Styler band wagon but my quest to find one that is protein and alcohol free led me to this brand. It is light, smells amazing, and provides the perfect hold to preserve my hairstyles. It is very affordable, which for me is the icing on the cake.  





The plethora of hair products at the fingertips of naturals, can be sometimes overwhelming. Most times it is through a process of trial and error that you will determine the products that are a best fit for your hair. I can assure you, as sure as night follows day, that there are people who will try or have tried the products I mentioned and not enjoy the same results that I am raving about. Over time as you learn your hair more, you will begin to understand what works for you and what doesn't. Don't get frustrated, the perfect combination of products is there for you, and you will get that aha moment when you find them. Stay committed to the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...