Saturday, February 25, 2012

TRANSITIONING TIPS

For many people, the hardest part about the journey to becoming natural is dealing with the transition process that is involved with growing your hair out. It is often a very unpleasant sight to see the new growth and it is always a major challenge to find ways to style the hair so as not to look hideous. For the most part, wearing your own hair during the process is not the answer. It is advisable to find creative and lasting transitioning hairstyles that you can sport during this period prior to the BIG CHOP.
Some suggested styles that you can wear during the transition are: Afro Twist, Rope Twist, Sew Ins, Cornrows, Twist Outs, Bantu Knots etc. I personally preferred the styles that allowed my hair to breathe and gave me the liberty to shampoo my hair on a regular basis and also apply nourishing oils to my roots. I wore the Afro Twist for the most part, as it is not heavy on the head and it is not too long.
Each time I removed my transitioning style I would trim an inch or so of the permed ends off. This made it easier for me as I wasn't faced with the dramatic feat of chopping off all 10 inches of my hair in one go. After a couple months of wearing the braids, I eventually thought, what the heck, and just made one BIG CHOP of the remaining 4 or 5 inches.
I had lots of fun playing around with the different styles I wore during my transition. If ever you feel discouraged and think that you are unable to tolerate how your hair looks during this
phase, just experiment with different braiding or sew in styles and before you know it you would have recorded enough new growth to go ahead and kiss that perm goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...