Monday, August 15, 2011

My BIG Heat Horror

My Heat Damaged patch. Straight when wet. 
I remember when I was growing up my mother would often tell me that she made many mistakes and that I should learn from them and not try to experience them for myself. Those words would save me a lot of failures, stresses and disappointments.
Likewise, I have made one crucial hair mistake during my natural hair journey that I would love to share with you with the hope that you won't ever make the same mistake. Like I mentioned in my Conversion Story, it initially was not my intention to remain natural but I was using it as a means of growing out my hair so that it would be nice and healthy with the view of perming it afresh. When I did the big chop I realized that I loved the Afro and decided to abandon all perming plans. Even thought I had already done the BC, at that stage I was not a natural hair convert at heart and I guess I still hadn't embraced wearing natural hair. As such I wore styles that disguised the fact that I was natural. The bottom line is that I wanted the best of both worlds.
My HEAT HORROR all began when I started wearing sew in weaves. I wore many sew in weaves but the straight weave was responsible for my hair woe. I did my weave with a side part and as such I had to leave out a small portion of my beautiful natural hair to cover the weave tracts. Anyone who is a professional weave wearer knows that the portion of hair designated with the task of making the weave look authentic has to be nice and bone straight. The only way for me to achieve that without Chemical exposures was to daily straighten it with my flat iron. I was most pleased with the outcome of my hairdo but little did I know that I was in for a rude awakening.
When I removed my weave and washed my hair I was most devastated to see my roots in the area that covered the tracts still bone straight. Can you imagine how ridiculous I looked with this one patch of perm looking hair in the front of my head
and everything else natural? I was so mad at myself for being ignorant of the permanently damaging effect that continuous heat would have on my hair.
Like a desperate lady looking for a cure to a terminal illness, I immediately went to my best friend GOOGLE for advice. This I have to admit was one of the few times that she has let me down. I tried many of her prescribed remedies to no avail. One that I can remember is that of immersing the section in vinegar before washing, among many others. Nothing worked. I was stuck with it and had to wait for it to grow out and gradually trim off the straight ends. Moral of the story.........try to stay as far away from heat as you can as it may cause permanent changes to your curl pattern or in my case remove it altogether. Like mymother would say, I have made the mistake before, learn from it and save yourself the disaster.
I'm out...........

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...