Tuesday, August 9, 2011

My Conversion Story

Thought I would use my first blog to kinda share a little bit about my natural hair conversion story. I have been natural for approximately 14 months. I am totally a convert of the little adage that says: “knowledge is power and ignorance is a vice”. I never knew that going natural would ever be possible for me. I have always been encouraged by my bestie to consider going natural as she had embarked on the said journey some three years prior. I had always flatly refused only because I never in my wildest imagination thought that my hair texture would be conducive to going natural. (I think my hair type is a 4B). I am yet to master the art of determining hair types. My decision to eventually embrace going natural was not deliberate but by default. The thing is that I had been experiencing severe breakage during my chemical days and all efforts to treat and trim were proving futile. My only option was to allow my hair to grow out natural then cut all the processed ends off with the intention to perm it after it had grown to a decent length. That way, I would be able to start fresh with a healthy head of perm. As it turns out, after the big chop I pretty much had a two inch Afro that I instantly fell in love with. I thought it looked so cute and I realized that natural hair was far more manageable than I ever dreamt. I have since then been sold out to my natural hair regimen and I have resolved to totally "Emancipate myself from chemical slavery".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...